You may have seen new bike lanes by your home or noticed packs if bicyclists are riding past you on the way to work. And you may have wondered, "Why?" Bicycling has grown in popularity in recent years - and for those who have followed the trend, it's easy to see why.
You do not need to do this alone. Your children can accompany you even if they are still small. Ask how? My wife and I take our two children on a trip using this cool Schwinn bike trailer that allows children to carry their trip quite comfortably. Although, of course, with children, the journey should not be made too long.
Traveling by bicycle has many advantages.
Here's a list of just a few of the reasons traveling by bike is good:
- It's environmentally friendly. You're not generating carbon dioxide, and you're also generating less waste in terms of parts compared to a car.
- It's cheap! Cheap transit is good, and biking is one of the cheapest options - after all, commuting by cars and even public transit can cost a lot of money.
- It's good for you. Bicycling implicitly requires exercise, which makes traveling by it even better. Instead of sitting down and driving or riding the train, you are burning calories and helping your heart health.
- Biking can be faster than traveling in other ways. Think about it: Each day, you get up, turn on the car and wait for it to warm up, sit down and fiddle with the seat, buckle your seatbelt, drive out of your drive way and sit in traffic. If you have a bike, however, you can just put on your helmet, hop on it and go! And especially in places with bad traffic, biking can be much faster than traditional commuting options.
- Convenience. For those of us who live in cities, consider how difficult it is to find parking: almost impossible, sometimes! With a bike, you don't have to waste time or energy to find a parking spot; rather, you can just roll up to your destination and hop off.
- Exploration. Biking isn't just for traveling on a street, however. If you like near trails or parks, you might be able to take those to work, too. And then, you can take in the beauty of nature without going out of your way to get to work (unless you want to go out of your way!).
As you can see, there are many different reasons why taking your bike to work is a good choice - however, there are still many more.
You may care about certain reasons more than others (for example, you may care more about your heart health than the environment), but if enough people decide that they want to travel by bicycle, bicycling's benefits will trickle down to many others.